Blog News -

Can a DUI keep your from traveling to Canada?

May 26, 2015. The Winona Daily News ran a story about issues surrounding traveling to Canada after a DUI conviction.  Driving under the influence of alcohol is considered serious offense for immigration purposes in Canada and a border officer can refuse you entry into Canada if you have been convicted previously of a DUI. A little planning can prevent an inconvenient and embarrassing disruption to your trip to Canada.

There are two remedies:

  1. For DUI and convictions less than 5 years old: An application for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) will allow travel into Canada for business and/or pleasure.
  2. For DUI and Convictions over 5 years old: A rehabilitation permit may be applied for allowing permanent hassle free travel into Canada.

George Creal

Atlanta DUI Lawyers | DUI Atlanta